PTI is a wonderful organization that provides access to “best practices” for technology and GIS. This is well highlighted by their GIS solutions award winners. Most of these applications solve needs in any other jurisdiction out there. One of the key drivers of collaboration within GIS is that most counties and cities use GIS for similar business flows.
I highly recommend reviewing this list to see if there are any applications that you are thinking about developing. For example, LA County has its CAMS (Countywide Address Management System) – it performs the same function as the Boston Application listed below. We in the County shouldn’t reinvent a wheel already created – I’d prefer to leverage the work these jurisdictions have already done!
Link the page (and the full description of each of the award winners): http://www.pti.org/solutions/2011/
Here is the list:
- Raleigh, NC: Implementing an Enterprise Land Records Portal:
- Scottsdale, AZ: Integrated Utility Mapping System:
- Fort Worth, TX: GIS Historic Aerial Imagery Tool
- Boston, MA: Street and Address Management:
- Fort Worth, TX : GIS Pedestrian Needs Index for Sidewalk Requests
- Guilford County, NC: Developing Parcel Map Quality Metrics
- Mesa, AZ: GIS Interactive Mapping
- Philadelphia, PA: Optimizing Traffic Signal LED Installation Using Mobile GIS Technology
- Miami-Dade County, FL: GIS Layer Verification Process