Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technologies are critical tools for improving the quality, accuracy, efficiency, and responsiveness of government services provided by the County of Los Angeles. Using the concept of an “electronic” or digital map, GIS records, stores, and analyzes multiple layers of spatial data and relates this data to locations of interest (e.g., communities, neighborhoods and people that live there). These layers contain data in the form of points (e.g., addresses, locations, etc.), lines (e.g., streets, highways, etc.), polygons (e.g., areas, political jurisdictions, etc.) and images that can be viewed in various combinations to identify and display underlying spatial relationships.
- LA County Enterprise GIS Strategic Plan 2012 – 2015 – Adopted (January 2013)
- Download the 2009-2012 Los Angeles County Enterprise GIS Strategic Plan (.pdf file)
A countywide enterprise approach to GIS will optimize the efficiency and effectiveness in the use, acquisition, and dissemination of GIS data and resources. This will increase the cost-effectiveness, innovation, reliability, accuracy, and value of geospatial information and tools, leading to improved outcomes and enhanced services to the public.
- Develop mutually accepted standards, policies, and business practices;
- Communicate the value of GIS to County departments and agencies;
- Encourage collaborative GIS efforts among County, government, and related organizations;
- Ensure that GIS resources are available for day-to-day operations;
- Maximize the cost-effectiveness of GIS investments;
- Cultivate the advanced use of GIS;
- Pursue the innovative use of GIS and related technologies;
- Integrate GIS technologies into County business operations;
- Support emergency and disaster planning, response, and recovery.
- Geospatial data must be created, documented, and maintained to meet or exceed national, state, and county standards.
- Ensure that the County’s GIS systems are available for day-to-day County/Regional purposes.
- Cultivate the Advanced / Analytical Use of GIS.
- Raise the Awareness of GIS.
- Support and Delivery of GIS Products & Services.
- Assist agencies to integrate spatial technology into their business processes and applications.
- Support Emergency Planning, Response, and Recovery.
You must be logged in to post a comment.